Last Wednesday, we celebrated this year’s scholarship recipients and the donors who made the scholarships possible. Madison Miller, who received the Erickson Scholarship, and Lacey Lemke, a two-time recipient (undergrad in 2008 and now for her master’s degree), spoke about┬áthe importance and value of community support for local residents pursuing continued educational opportunities. They both thanked the donors for establishing scholarship funds at the Community Foundation and talked about how much more than just financial support the scholarship signaled.

Madison Miller

Lacey Lemke

  • This year, we awarded $495,000 to 187 students, with the average award package totaling $2,200.
  • 71% of the recipients were graduating high school seniors, while the remaining 29% were current college students
  • 87% of students plan to attend college in Michigan, and 89% are going to public universities

$90,000 of the total amount awarded went to:

  • students attending MCC
  • first-generation college students, or
  • students pursuing a post-secondary education in careers that are critical in our region

And 64% of first generation applicants received a scholarship.

click image at right to enlarge.

See more photos on our Facebook page.

Congratulations to all the scholarship recipients, and thank you to our donors for their continued support of area youth! If you’d like to learn more about opening a scholarship fund, email Chris Riker at criker@ghacf.org or call 616-842-6378.